Young Adults @ First Church (ages 18-35ish)
First Church has a vibrant young adult community (ages 18 through 20- & 30- somethings), and offers a variety of ways to build spiritual community meet new people and deepen friendships, talk about real things that matter, get and give support, work and serve for justice in our community together, and grow in faith and relationship with God.
We have a new college group that gets together regularly. Our more general young adult group is a diverse mix of students (grad & undergrad), young professionals, seekers and skeptics, singles, couples, and families of all configurations. We come from all kinds of religious backgrounds and beliefs. In addition to our Wednesday Open Chapel services (more info below), we gather regularly to eat, play, protest, serve, relax, and grow together. Recent meetups include theological book group, potlucks around a theme, picnics, game nights, serving at the Berkeley Food Pantry & Prisoners Literature Project, hikes, LGBTQ country two-step, froyo outings, etc! We hold an annual Young Adult Retreat in the spring.
Open Chapel @ First Church
Join us every first, second and third Wednesday (Sept-May), 7-8:30PM for our young adult chapel service, "Open Chapel" as we slow down, sing out, tune in, break bread, and open up. This progressive, experimental, inclusive, participatory Christian worship gathering is open to all young adults and takes place in First Church Berkeley's Loper Chapel (right at the corner of Dana and Durant near the UC Berkeley campus). Services are led by Young Adult Minister Kit Novotny, with a team of young adults and folk musicians Sarah and Thomas Gettys, and Director of Music Derek Tam.
1st & 3rd Wednesdays are a contemporary, informal worship service. 2nd Wednesday Wildcards are community-led gatherings, a little different every time (meals, bible studies, yoga classes, discussions, etc.).
Winter/Spring 2018 Dates:
1st & 3rd Wednesdays Open Chapel Worship (always 7 PM): Jan 17, Feb 7 & 21, Mar 7 & 21, Apr 4 & 18, May 2 & 16
2nd Wednesday "Wildcard" Community-led Gatherings (a little different every time, usually 7 PM): Jan 10, Feb 14 (Ash Wed Service = wildcard for that night), Mar 14, Apr 11, May 9
Young Adults @ First Church Email Newsletter
Sign up to get Rev. Kit's occasionally inspiring & often irreverent Young Adults @ First Church newsletter delivered to your inbox every other week. aka the ministry of gifs. Click here to read through past newsletters.
Young Adults @ First Church Facebook Group
Connect with fellow young adults at First Church by joining our open Young Adults @ First Church Facebook group! Find young adult group events, post & initiate events, share articles / links / songs / inspiration, engage in spiritual discussion, crowdsource, post/seek job/housing opportunities, etc. A great way to support & stay connected with fellow young adults & the life of the church.
Why church? Why First Church Berkeley?
Wondering if our church & young adult community are for you? If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, then yes, find a way to check us out!
Are you in the midst of some big life transitions:
- Are you less than settled/far from rooted in your place of residence / sense of "home" ?
- Are you exploring significant relationships?longing for new and true friends, and people you can be real with?
- Are you seeking direction for a course of study / career that is more than a job, but a vocation or calling where your deep joy meets the world's deep needs?
- Have you been burned or bored by church in the past, but know there's got to be something more alive and life-giving out there?
Are you looking for a faith community...
- that is inclusive, progressive, and Open and Affirming?
- where you can explore God in community... even if you're not quite sure what you believe or where church fits in?
- where you can connect with people of all ages, but also be supported by a vibrant group of peers?
- that works together for peace, justice and joy for ALL people?
- that will love and accept you exactly as you are, and as you are becoming?